If you have been recommended to have a root canal done, you may be wondering what it is, and what it means for you. Here’s 3 things you didn’t know about root canals.
1. Why You Need a Root Canal
A root canal is done to remove the infection and damaged central nerve from the tooth. Root canals are typically done when damage or decay has reached the central nerve of the tooth. When this occurs, the patient will typically experience:
- Extreme sensitivity (especially to hot and cold)
- Severe pain
- Soreness in jaw
- Fever (infection)
- Bad taste or smell in the mouth
2. The Root Canal Procedure
Below are the steps involved in a root canal procedure:
- To begin the procedure, the patient is fully numbed with a local anesthetic.
- The dentist removes all signs of decay before removing the nerve itself.
- The central canal of the tooth is then irrigated and cleaned out before being filled with a synthetic material known as gutta-percha.
- The tooth is sealed and given time to heal before being capped with a dental crown to keep it protected from further damage.
[Also read: Benefits of Root Canal Treatment]
3. Minimal Pain and Discomfort
Unfortunately, television shows and movies tend to portray root canals in quite a negative light, making them sound as if they are extremely painful. While you may experience some slight soreness in the day or so after the procedure, most people report that they actually feel less pain after their root canal has been completed. Rest assured that your dentist will work hard to ensure that you are comfortable and numb throughout the procedure.
Best Root Canals in Robstown, Texas
For the best and most comprehensive dental treatment in Robstown, Texas, trust in Robstown Smiles. We are here to help you maintain the healthiest and most beautiful smile possible. For more information about root canals or to get scheduled for an appointment in our Robstown, Texas dental office, give us a call anytime at 361-933-0124.
Don’t Forget to Check: Root Canal vs. Tooth Extraction: What to Expect?